PAN Card Details By PAN Number: The Income Tax Department of India issues a Permanent Account Number (PAN) to every citizen who applies for it or whom the department issues without an application.
The PAN allows the department to connect all transactions associated with an individual to the department.
Also, PAN serves as an identifier for individuals with the tax department, enabling them to link various transactions such as tax payments, TDS/TCS credits, returns of income/wealth/gift/FBT, specified transactions, correspondence, and more.
But the fact and fascinating details about PAN Card is that you can decode them and can know basic details about the cardholder.
PAN Card Details By PAN Number
PAN Card has a 10-digit alphanumeric (A-Z; 0-9) number that discloses various information about the holder. Below you can easily get a PAN card 10-digit meaning:
Understand with an example PAN Card Number: AFZPK7190K
PAN First Three Letters Discloses Nothing:
- The first three letters of a PAN number represent a sequence of alphabets that are random and not assigned based on any specific criteria.
- These letters are generally a combination of alphabets from A to Z (excluding I, O, Q) and do not convey any specific information.
- Here in the example, AFZ denotes nothing about the cardholder.
PAN Fourth Letter Discloses Card Holder Categories:
- The Fourth letter has significance in PAN.
- It denotes the PAN Card Type of the cardholder.
- In the above example, “P” denotes individual card type
|4th Letter In PAN Number||Card Type||Examples|
|C||Company||Company distinct from shareholders and owners|
|H||Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)||It comes under Hindu Law|
|F||Firm||A partnership firm or partnership entity|
|A||Association of Persons (AOP)||two or more individuals, including partnerships or other entities, who join together with the objective of earning income|
|T||Trust||A legal entity created to hold and manage assets for the benefit of beneficiaries.|
|B||Body of Individuals (BOI)||clubs, societies, associations, or any group of individuals formed for a specific objective|
|L||Local Authority||Municipal corporations, municipal councils, panchayats, development authorities, etc|
|J||Artificial Judicial Person||Religious institutions, universities, hospitals, charitable organizations, and other similar organizations|
|G||Government||Government offices, departments, PSUs, statutory bodies, and other government-controlled entities|
PAN Fifth Letter Discloses Name/Surname Of Cardholder
- The fifth letter of your PAN Number denotes your name/surname’s first letter.
- For example, if your name is Kamal Sharma then the fifth letter may contain the K/S.
PAN Last 4-Numerical Digits Are Random
- The 4-digit numbers in PAN are random from 1111 to 9999
- It denotes nothing about the cardholder.
The Last Letter In PAN Is For Alabhatic Check
- The last letter is used to verify the PAN Number is generated correctly.
- It is calculated with a specific algorithm or PAN Formula.
Which Details Can I Get From PAN Card
You can get the following information from a PAN Card such as:
Name of the PAN Holder:
- The PAN number is linked to an individual or entity, and it typically includes the name of the PAN holder.
- However, it’s important to note that PAN cards issued to companies or entities may display the organization’s name instead of an owner’s name.
- The PAN number also provides information about the jurisdiction or area where the card was issued.
- Each PAN is assigned to a specific region or jurisdiction within India.
Date of Birth/Incorporation:
- In some cases, the PAN number may contain the date of birth of an individual or the date of incorporation of a company.
- However, it’s important to verify the date of birth or incorporation from other reliable sources as the PAN may not always display this information.
- The PAN card displays the validity period of the PAN number.
- It indicates the date until which the card is considered valid.
- PAN cards need to be renewed if they expire.
- PAN cards issued to individuals typically include a photograph of the PAN holder.
- It may be your recent image or Aadhaar Image if you have updated or renewed it.
- The PAN number may also provide information about the status of the PAN card, such as whether it is active, inactive, or cancelled.
- This status can give an indication of the current validity and usage of it.
FAQs PAN Card Details
PAN stands for Permanent Account Number
PAN has the 10 digits unique alphanumeric number
The 4th letter in PAN stands for the category of the cardholder. For example:
H: Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
A: Association of Persons (AOP)
B: Body of Individuals (BOI)
L: Local Authority
J: Artificial Judicial Person